After I first met my American Greek husband, he had his American meals lover head on: (excuse my punctuation – I am used to writing recipes).
- Sandwiches with thick slices of meat between thick slices of crusty white bread
- A number of crab, different shellfish and fish
- Italian meals
- In fact Greek meals – his Mother’s cooking and his Yia Yia’s cooking
- Beer – normally Bud
- Ice cream – normally vanilla and chocolate chip
Now I used to be about to explain my husband and what goes nicely along with his Greek vegetarian meals lover’s head: (I actually did not encourage him to develop into vegetarian you already know. It was his personal selection and it got here from his wanting me to style what his Mother and Yia Yia (each glorious cooks) lovingly ready for him. Nonetheless, that woud imply telling you ways we created probably the most scrumptious vegetarian pastitou; so good that each one our meat-eating buddies need us to make it for them. I will try this in your most important course within the subsequent article, however first you’ll be able to have your starter; my recipes for these three scrumptious Greek vegetarian mezes (little dishes).
Feta with Mint and Garlic Components
- 1/4 cup contemporary mint – finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic – peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 4 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound feta cheese – drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine the mint, garlic, pepper and olive oil to kind a paste in a meals processor.
- Crumble the feta and add to the processor. Combine nicely till creamy. If needed alter the consistency with just a little extra olive oil, lemon juice or feta.
- Refrigerate earlier than serving
- 14 oz (400g) cooked chickpeas – from a can or dried, soaked in a single day and boiled till mushy
- 1 clove of garlic – peeled
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/4 cup contemporary lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon additional virgin olive oil
- salt roughly 1/2 teaspoon, and black pepper to style – it’s higher to start out with too little salt, e.g.none and add extra to style after mixing
- Put the chickpeas, garlic, tahini and lemon right into a meals processor or blender. Mix till easy and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to style.
- Add extra of the opposite elements as needed to enhance the style and consistency to your liking.
- Refrigerate earlier than serving.
Eggplant (aubergine) dip Components
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/3 cup pitted inexperienced olives – chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon additional virgin olive oil and further oil for coating the eggplant
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- salt and pepper to style
- Pierce the eggplant in a number of locations.
- Coat the eggplant with olive oil and place on a baking tray.
- Bake the eggplant at 350F (180C) for 45 minutes or till mushy.
- Lower in half and permit to chill.
- Scoop out the pulp and place in a blender or meals processor.
- Add the opposite elements and mix till creamy.
- Season to style.
Serve the mezes with sizzling or toasted pitta bread. If you already know a Greek store you’ll be able to serve with completely different Greek breads and cheeses or your favorite worldwide bread and cheese. They go nicely with black and inexperienced olives, roasted almonds and walnuts, salad containing lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and peppers with olive oil and vinegar dressing. All this can make a scrumptious meal in itself. Nonetheless it may be served as a starter if it can save you some room for a most important course. For a heartiest lunch serve with the most effective soup ie Greek bean soup. For the heartiest dinner serve mezes earlier than the pastitou.