Love buttery, roasted candy potatoes? Nicely at present, we’re elevating the bar and making them FONDANT type! Sluggish-roasted in garlicky inventory in order that they take in flavour and change into meltingly tender inside, and caramelised on the surface. Function-is, or douse with Maple Butter Pecan Sauce for further wow issue.
Easy to make, sounds fancy, tastes fab. House run! (Pssst – Wonderful vacation facet dish)
Fondant Sluggish-Roasted Candy Potatoes
Stick the phrase “fondant” in entrance of “potato”, and abruptly your on a regular basis spuds sound a complete lot fancier.
However in actuality, it’s simply potatoes which have been slow-roasted with slightly inventory till they take in the flavour. They change into creamy and savoury on the within, and golden caramelised on the surface.
Just a bit bit of additional effort for which you’ll reap very large rewards.
Whilst you can “fondant” bizarre potatoes, I feel it’s even higher with candy potatoes. Particularly when you douse them with the optional-but-not-really Maple Butter Pecan Sauce!
What you want for Fondant Sluggish-Roasted Candy Potatoes
Right here’s what you want:
For the Fondant Potatoes:
- Candy potatoes – 1.25 – 1.5 kg / 2.5 – 3 lb or 3 medium/massive ones, ideally across the identical dimension. Principally you want sufficient to fill a roasting pan with 3cm / 1.2″ thick rounds, leaving some house between each. Depart the pores and skin on – it’s free further diet but in addition holds the slices collectively even when they’re meltingly tender inside;
- Butter AND oil for roasting – we love butter for flavour, but it surely burns at excessive temperatures. So to assist minimise this, we use a mix of butter with oil so we get one of the best of each worlds – the buttery flavour and a few good browning which you’ll be able to solely obtain in a scorching oven; and
- Salt & pepper.
For the Maple Butter Pecan Sauce:
- Maple syrup – pure maple syrup is finest, for one of the best flavour! For those who can’t get or your price range doesn’t lengthen to pure maple syrup, go for honey fairly than artificially-flavoured maple syrup;
- Butter – so as to add a contact of buttery richness into the sauce; and
- Chopped pecans – finest to cut complete ones your self for higher flavour than shopping for pre-chopped. Additionally terrific with walnuts, almonds, pistachios – and possibly extra, I simply haven’t tried!
How you can make Fondant Candy Potatoes
Right here’s tips on how to make fondant candy potatoes:
- Thick slices – Minimize into thick 3cm / 1.2″ slices – thick sufficient in order that they don’t collapse into mush with the 1-hour roasting time required for this recipe;
- Sprinkle & drizzle – Lay in a roasting pan, douse with melted butter and oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Simply squidge them round within the pan, turning to coat – no must soiled a separate bowl for this step;
- Roast 20 minutes – Roast for 20 minutes in a scorching 240°C/465°F oven;
- Flip & roast quarter-hour – Flip, then roast for one more quarter-hour. By this time, either side ought to have some good color on them and they are going to be cooked via. However we’re going to take them additional to make them extremely creamy on the within in addition to add flavour!
- Baste – Spoon the buttery pan juices over the potato;
- Roast in inventory 20 minutes – pour inventory in and elective garlic (I simply can’t assist myself). Then return to the oven for one more 15 to twenty minutes till the inventory is soaked up by the potatoes. You’ll find yourself with a thick sludge on the backside of the pan which could even look slightly burnt, however that’s okay – we aren’t utilizing it!
That is what they give the impression of being out of the oven – caramelised on the perimeters with the pores and skin holding collectively the tremendous tender flesh inside!
How you can make the Maple Butter Pecan Sauce
Plonk and simmer – Toast the pecans in a dry pan first to deliver out the nutty flavours. Then simply add butter, maple, cinnamon and a pinch of salt and simmer for a few minutes till it reduces and thickens barely.
The sauce will thicken because it cools, so don’t fear if it appears skinny when scorching!
Sweetness issue – and tips on how to scale back sweetness
With the candy potato and the Maple Butter Sauce, there’s no denying that it is a candy dish so it may not be to your style when you aren’t into sweet-savoury dishes.
Nonetheless, in contrast to different related candy potato dishes, this has a component of savoury in it from the inventory absorbed by the potatoes and the nuts which counteracts the sweetness.
Additionally, keep in mind that you’re not imagined to eat the entire platter your self, only one or two items (each bit is a sizeable chunk!) and it’s finest served alongside correctly savoury dishes for steadiness.
However if you wish to scale back the sweetness, listed below are a couple of choices:
- Skip the sauce – the Fondant Candy Potatoes have sufficient flavour as it’s, the sauce simply takes it excessive!
- Simply use the pecans sprinkled over the potatoes, ie. no maple sauce;
- Use the Honey Lemon Dressing on this Roasted Candy Potato Salad recipe as a substitute – the lemon balances out the sweetness. Change the honey for maple syrup to retain the same flavour profile!
What to serve with Fondant Candy Potatoes
The flavourings on this dish are definitely on-theme for vacation feasting. It’s proper at residence on a Christmas or Thanksgiving desk. Having stated that, it’s simply typically a wonderful, easy facet dish that’s worthy of pulling out all year-round whether or not it’s to accompany one thing easy like a lime marinated hen, a easy crispy pan fried fish or Garlic Prawns.
It’s additionally a helpful dish for large feasting events as a result of it may be served heat OR at room temperature, so that you don’t want to fret about getting ready it contemporary. The potatoes are so tender inside and there’s no crispiness to be retained on the surface so it doesn’t matter in the event that they quiet down.
For those who give this candy potato recipe a go, I’d like to know the way you served it! – Nagi x
Watch tips on how to make it
Fondant Sluggish-Roasted Candy Potatoes – with Maple Butter Pecans
Prep: 5 minutes
Prepare dinner: 1 hr
Western, Western – Vacation Sides
Servings6 – 8 folks
Faucet or hover to scale
Maple Butter Pecan Sauce (elective / probably not!):
Preheat oven to 240°C/465°F (220°C fan).
Minimize the potatoes into 3cm / 1.2″ discs.
Place the potatoes in a big roasting pan or baking sheet with tallish sides (we’re including liquid later).
Drizzle with butter and oil, sprinkle with half the salt and pepper. Squidge round, flip potatoes, sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
Roast: Place within the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
Flip, proceed roasting: Rigorously flip potatoes, then roast for an additional quarter-hour.
Baste, add inventory: Spoon the butter/oil gathering within the pan over the potatoes. Then rigorously pour the inventory in across the potatoes, and scatter the garlic into the liquid.
Roast to soak up inventory: Return to the oven, and roast for an additional 15 to twenty minutes or till a lot of the liquid has been absorbed/evaporated. The precise time depends upon the peak of pan partitions / how heavy-based your pan is and so forth.
Assemble & serve: Switch potatoes to serving platter, scraping up a few of the pan juices as you go (Observe 5), and piling them excessive on the plate. Pour over Maple Butter Pecan Sauce and sprinkle with contemporary thyme leaves simply earlier than serving. Serve heat – or at room temperature!
Maple Butter Pecan Sauce:
Place pecans in a saucepan or small skillet over medium excessive warmth. Stir for 30 seconds till you possibly can scent the pecans. Add remaining substances, then as soon as the butter melts and it begins effervescent, simmer on medium warmth for 1 1/2 minutes till it reduces and thickens barely (it will get thicker because it cools).
Switch to serving jug. Serve over potatoes.
2. Butter and oil are wanted to minimise butter burning on the excessive temp we’re roasting in.
3. Maple syrup – use pure, not the artificially-flavoured stuff. For those who can’t discover it or it’s dear the place you’re, go for honey as a substitute.
4. Pecans – that is the chopped quantity, so it’s slightly over 1/2 cup complete pecans. Different nuts that work a deal with embody walnuts, almonds and pistachios. I’m certain others do too, however these are simply the nuts I’ve tried through the years with this sauce.
5. Pan juices – when you’re not utilizing the maple butter sauce, then pour over all of the residual pan juices over the potatoes. Nonetheless keep away from scraping up any burnt bits from the potato / butter as a result of it is going to be bitter. In case you are utilizing the sauce, you don’t want the additional flavour – simply use no matter finally ends up in your spatula (in any case, the bottom of the potatoes are soaked in pan juices!)
6. Storage – finest served contemporary on the day, both heat (my desire) or at room temp. Roasted potatoes typically don’t maintain properly – they sweat and change into fairly soggy and … unhappy. For those who want a candy potato dish to make forward, I extremely suggest this Savoury Candy Potato Casserole (it’s obtained browned butter ribboned all through!!).
7. Diet per serving, assuming this serves 8, together with all of the Maple Butter Pecan Sauce. Reduces to simply underneath 200 energy with out the Sauce.
Energy: 326cal (16%)Carbohydrates: 53g (18%)Protein: 4g (8%)Fats: 11g (17%)Saturated Fats: 4g (25%)Ldl cholesterol: 14mg (5%)Sodium: 421mg (18%)Potassium: 733mg (21%)Fiber: 6g (25%)Sugar: 21g (23%)Vitamin A: 26756IU (535%)Vitamin C: 5mg (6%)Calcium: 83mg (8%)Iron: 1mg (6%)
Lifetime of Dozer
A daily prevalence on the canine seaside (paired with screeching).